Saturday, October 11, 2008

I ran in The Run for the Cure








Today I ran in "The Race for the Cure". A 5K race earning money for Breast Cancer. Craig's mom was diagnosed a few weeks ago with breast cancer and it has been an emotional time for all of us. She has undergone surgery to remove the tumor and will start radiation in a few weeks. I haven't ran in a long time, but I really wanted to run in this race. I ran 3.1 miles four times in the last week and a half trying to gain some confidence that I could actually do it. I could do it, just not very fast. In fact it was 37 degrees and very windy this morning for the race and my goal was just to not walk any of it and I didn't, it felt great. Brytan ran some of it too and walked some of it with her Grandma, Craig's mom. It was a great experience for her and it made her excited to run some more.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Glad you met your goal! It is hard running in cold weather. The last 5k I did was when it was below 40 here in FL and my lungs were in bad shape for at least 2 weeks. Guess my lungs weren't prepared for all that cold air!

Jordan and Chandra Smith said...

WooHOO Nikki!!!! I am proud of your running skills Nik, hopefully one day we'll live close enough that we can run a few races together!

Jessica Adams said...

I was excited to find your guys blog! We have not seen you guys forever! Good job on your race! I would like to someday train for a half marathon! Good to see you guys are all doin good! You guys need to get Brett and Matt to start a blog!